Narrative Nonfiction/Inspirational
Date Published: August 4th, 2026
Publisher: Acorn Publishing
On the beaches of Southern California, Ken Kisco learned that preparation saves lives. From rip-current rescues to split-second emergencies, he discovered that courage is not the absence of fear, but the decision to act in spite of it. Those early lessons in resilience and composure pushed Ken to believe he could accomplish anything . . . including his lifelong dream of reaching the stars.
Through relentless perseverance and unwavering faith, Ken rose into the heart of America’s most advanced space and defense programs, contributing to human spaceflight initiatives and supporting groundbreaking technologies. His unusual start as a lifeguard helped advance his career, distinguishing him from his Air Force and Navy peers. Yet, his toughest challenges were personal—he faced deep disappointment when a space mission was canceled and learned lessons about trust and integrity from a romance-turned-ruse.
Ken’s journey reveals that success is rarely linear. Setbacks became launchpads, adversity became refinement, and purpose became a compass. Part memoir, part inspiration, and part behind-the-scenes look at America’s quest for the stars, this is the unforgettable story of a man who proves that bold dreams, combined with grit and heart, can launch an ordinary life into an extraordinary one.
What was your main drive to write this book?
My main motivation was to show that extraordinary
opportunities often begin in the most unexpected places. Looking back, I
realized that every stage of my life—from California Ocean Lifeguard to
supporting America's space program—prepared me for the next. I wanted to
encourage readers to embrace life's detours, persevere through challenges, and
recognize that their own path can lead to remarkable destinations.
What do you hope readers will learn by reading
this book?
More than anything, I hope readers come away believing in
the power of perseverance. Success is rarely a straight line. It's built
through hard work, resilience, lifelong learning, and the courage to say
"yes" to unexpected opportunities. If readers finish the book
inspired to dream a little bigger or pursue a goal they once thought
impossible, then I've accomplished what I set out to do.
Did you do much research when planning this
book?
Yes. Although this is a memoir based on my own
experiences, I wanted every historical reference, timeline, and technical
detail to be accurate. I reviewed personal records, documents, and historical
sources to ensure the story remained both authentic and factual. My goal was to
combine personal reflection with historical accuracy.
Did you have any main people who helped you in
the process of this book or influenced you to write it?
Absolutely. My family, friends, colleagues, and mentors
encouraged me to tell this story, often reminding me that the experiences I'd
been fortunate enough to have could inspire others. I also benefited from the
guidance of talented editors and publishing professionals who helped transform
years of memories into a compelling memoir.
How long did this book take you to write from
initial thought to hitting publish?
From the first idea to publication, the journey took
several years. Writing the manuscript was only one part of the process.
Reflecting on decades of experiences, organizing the story, verifying details,
revising countless drafts, and working through the publishing process all
required patience and persistence. In many ways, writing the book mirrored the
lesson it teaches—meaningful journeys are rarely completed in a straight line.
Do you have plans to write more about this
topic or new topics?
Yes. Completing No Straight Lines to the Stars has
reminded me that there are many more stories worth telling. While I haven't
decided exactly where the next book will lead, I'm interested in exploring
themes of leadership, mentorship, innovation, and the life lessons that come
from embracing unexpected opportunities. If this memoir inspires readers, I'd
love to continue the conversation in future books.
As an aerospace systems engineer for NASA, Rockwell International, and Boeing, he developed new technologies and earned recognition as an American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) Fellow.
Ken now shares his passion by mentoring USC engineering students, inspiring them to dream boldly. When not traveling, he and his wife enjoy San Diego's beaches, where they live.
Instagram: @Kennasaman
Purchase Link


0 Comments