Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Review: Between the Lines by Tammara Webber

Title: Between the Lines
Author: Tammara Webber
Date Published: 4/29/2011


Synopsis:
When Hollywood It Boy, Reid Alexander, arrives on location to shoot his next movie, his goals are the same as always—film another blockbuster hit and enjoy his celebrity status to the fullest while doing so. His costar is a virtual unknown with whom he had blazing hot chemistry during her auditions. The universe is lining up nicely to grant whatever he wants, as usual, until he’s confronted with unexpected obstacles on location like a bitter ex-girlfriend and a rival for the first girl to spark his genuine interest in years.


Emma Pierce just got her big break after more than a decade of filming commercials for grape juice, department stores and tampons, and more recently, bit parts in made-for-TV movies. Nailing the lead role in a wide-release film sent her agent, father and stepmother into raptures, and should have done the same for her. The Problem? Emma is experiencing a building desire to be normal, and starring in a silly, modernized adaptation of one of her favorite novels—opposite the very hot Reid Alexander—isn’t going to advance that aspiration.


Graham Douglas doesn’t fear playing the part of a nerdy dimwit; when it comes to choosing film roles, if it pays, he’ll do it. Besides, his friend Brooke Cameron snatched up the role of the bitchy hot girl and could use his help as a buffer, because her ex is the star. Graham has no problem keeping a handle on the situation, until he finds himself attracted to Reid’s costar, Emma, the girl Reid is pursuing full-throttle with his standard arsenal of charm, good looks and arrogance.


Author recommendation: Mature teens+ (language/drinking/sexual situations)
My Rating:



My Review:

I've been really liking Upper YA/College age novels lately! 


Emma is an aspiring actress who lands a starring role opposite heartthrob Reid Alexander. Thrown into a hotel with several other actors her own age, who have been in the business much longer than her, she faces many new experiences, dramas, and problems. 


First of all, I really liked Emma. She could be a little too naive about somethings and I wanted to smack her upside the head at times, but she was an easy character to care for.


Now Reid, I could not stand Reid! I felt myself cringing every time I had to read from his POV, because I knew he was going to do or say something to piss me off! haha. 


I think the journey that Emma goes through in this is genuine to those her age. Even not being in the acting world and going to college for the first time they would experience similar situations. 


I will just say that I think that Graham was such a great guy! Yes, I was confused with Emma most of the time, but I really loved the way their friendship progressed. It felt really natural.


There are a lot of major revelations that come out in this story that will completely catch the reader off guard, and you will want to make sure you have time set aside to read book #2 because upon finishing up with this one it is impossible not to!

1 comment:

Italia said...

I LOVED this book. I wasn't sure in the first couple of chapters how much I was going to care about the characters. They're a mix of up-and-coming and established Hollywood teen actors working on a modern-day adaptation of Price & Prejudice. The mania that surrounds the filming and the cast had Twilight overtones to me, although that's where the similiarity with that ends (which is a good thing). I liked the dual narration between Reid and Emma, as well as the character development of both. I thought their interaction and internal dialogue were very realistic and they were very believable in the way they handled the situations they confronted, as well as their relationship with each other. And, like others have mentioned, Graham is swoon-worthy, although I don't want to give too much away. But, really, he is.

Post a Comment