Religion / Christian Living / Spiritual Growth
Date Published: June 30, 2026
Publisher: Lucid Books Publishing
In today’s platform-driven culture, prophetic voices can gain influence almost overnight. But when charisma grows faster than character and authority operates without accountability, the Church becomes vulnerable to confusion, manipulation, and spiritual harm.
In The Self-Chosen One: When Prophecy Replaces Accountability, pastor Kevin P. Horath addresses this growing challenge. Writing from the perspective of a pastor who deeply values the work of the Holy Spirit, Horath does not reject prophecy. Instead, he calls the Church to restore it to its proper place within humility, character, and biblical oversight.
In this book you will discover:
The Self-Chosen One is a warning and an invitation—helping the Church recover a healthy balance between Spirit and Scripture, passion and discernment.
What was your main drive to write this book?
The book grew out of a painful
experience I faced in pastoral ministry last year. It was a difficult and
complicated situation, and I felt woefully unprepared to handle it. After
navigating several months of emotional and spiritual highs and lows, I began
researching what had happened and trying to understand it more fully.
At
first, the writing was primarily therapeutic. It helped me process the
experience and examine it through a biblical lens. As the research developed,
however, I realized that other pastors and church leaders may encounter similar
situations—and may feel just as unprepared as I did. I wrote The
Self-Chosen One in
the hope that my experience could help others recognize these patterns earlier
and respond with greater wisdom, discernment, and compassion.
What do you hope readers will learn by reading this book?
I want readers to understand that
believing prophecy is real does not require us to abandon accountability. In
fact, genuine spiritual gifts should operate within biblical order, healthy
relationships, and appropriate oversight.
When
prophetic claims are treated as beyond examination or correction, they can
become destructive to individuals, leaders, and entire congregations. At the
same time, some people who exhibit these troubling patterns may be operating
from unresolved hurt, trauma, insecurity, or even addictive behavior.
Recognizing that possibility helps church leaders respond with both discernment
and compassion. The goal is neither to dismiss spiritual gifts nor to accept
every spiritual claim without question. It is to test what is being said,
protect the church, and care wisely for the people involved.
Did you do much research when planning this book?
Yes, a great deal of research went into the
book. Although personal experience provided the initial framework, I did not
want the book to rest on one situation alone. I examined biblical accounts,
historical examples, and recurring patterns in which claims of divine authority
became separated from accountability. I also drew from material related to
pastoral care, trauma, addiction, leadership, and unhealthy spiritual dynamics.
Did you have any main people who helped you in the process
of this book or influenced you to write it?
Tim Revis, a good friend with professional training
and experience in these areas, played an important role in helping me research
the subject and develop my ideas. He challenged me to consider aspects of the
issue that extended beyond my own pastoral perspective. He also contributed two
chapters that address the more clinical dimensions of the subject—areas in
which his expertise was especially valuable.
How long did this book take you to write from initial
thought to hitting publish?
The process took approximately two and a half
months. It developed quickly because the experience and many of the questions
surrounding it were still very fresh. Even so, those months involved a
concentrated period of research, writing, collaboration, revision, and
reflection.
Do you have plans to write more about this
topic or new topics?
I
love writing, and I certainly plan to continue. Through conversations with
pastors and church leaders, I have begun to see the potential value of a
practical field guide or leadership companion to The
Self-Chosen One. Such a resource could help leadership teams
evaluate difficult situations, establish healthy safeguards, and work through
real-life scenarios together.
I
also have other subjects I would like to explore. Whether every future project
becomes a formally published book remains to be seen, but writing will continue
to be an important part of my ministry.
About the Author
Kevin P. Horath is the Lead Pastor of Hillside Bethel Ministries in Decatur, Illinois, where he also oversees Hillside Bethel Christian School. After nearly thirty years as a healthcare human resources executive, he stepped into full-time ministry with a passion for helping people apply biblical truth to everyday life. Kevin writes and teaches about healthy church leadership, spiritual discernment, and the practical work of building strong Christian communities. He and his wife, Kathy, live in Decatur and enjoy time together sailing on Lake Decatur and serving their local church and community. The Self-Chosen One reflects his heart for protecting the Church while preserving genuine spiritual vitality.
Contact Links


0 Comments