Book 1 of The Northern Crusader Chronicles
Historical Adventure
Date Published: 28th November 2024 (book/ebook) Audiobook: Approx. February 2026
Publisher: The Book Guild
Narrator: Kerry Hutchinson
Run Time: 12 hours and 2 minutes
1242: Wounded at the Battle on the Ice, English knight Richard Fitz Simon becomes a prisoner of Prince Alexander Nevsky of Novgorod. Intrigued by his captive, Alexander orders his scholar to record Richard’s life story.
Richard’s chronicle begins in 1203, when betrayal shatters his training for knighthood and forces him to flee England. In Lübeck, he finds work with a ruthless salt merchant and becomes entangled in an illicit affair – until scandal and violence drive him onward once more.
Seeking purpose, Richard joins the Livonian Brothers of the Sword, a militant order bent on bringing Christendom to the pagan Baltic. In the harsh outpost of Riga, he faces not only enemy tribes beyond the walls, but suspicion, ambition, and betrayal within – while grappling with doubts that threaten his faith.
When a vast pagan army threatens to overwhelm the commandery, Richard must choose what kind of man – and believer – he will become.
Sword Brethren is Book One of The Northern Crusader Chronicles, a gritty, historically grounded series focused on realism, moral ambiguity, and the brutal realities of medieval warfare.
Interview
Is There a Message in Your Novel That You Want Readers to Grasp?
Not really. I am
interested in the Northern Crusades in the early 13th century, and
very few novels have been written about this period. The book explores the
subject of faith and the bringing Christianity to the pagans of the eastern
Baltic, but it is primarily a medieval adventure story where the action goes
from England to Lübeck and finally Livonia. If readers are fans of Bernard
Cornwell and similar authors, they will probably enjoy a new series written
about the little-known crusades in what is now Latvia and Estonia.
Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?
Writing
can be very challenging in numerous ways, as well as being very rewarding. I
sometimes struggle to come up with new ideas, but this is a problem for the
next two books in the series rather than Sword Brethren. When writing
about life in a commandery of warrior monks, there is a fixed routine that
revolves around prayer with little diversion possible. Coming up with new and
interesting events in between the historical battles and campaigns can
sometimes be challenging.
How many books have you written and which is your favorite?
I have
written five full-length novels, and I am finishing the sixth. The first three
were fantasy books set in a world that I developed when I was living in India.
They are mostly unpublishable, and I consider them my apprenticeship. Sword
Brethren is the fourth book I’ve written. If I had to pick one, I think the
following book in the series, Soldiers of Christ, which was published on
28th April 2026, is probably my favorite.
If You had the chance to cast your main character from
The chance
would be a fine thing! To be honest, I don’t really watch many films anymore,
so it’s hard to say. It is also hard because of the frame/dual timeline. The
frame of the story shows Richard as a fifty-three-year-old Teutonic Knight,
captured after the Battle on the Ice, looking back on his life – but the main
narrative is Richard at fourteen. So, two actors would be needed – a teenager
and middle-aged man. Unfortunately, most of the time that books are turned into
films, the writer gets no say in who plays who anyway.
When did you begin writing?
It was when
I was living in India about twenty-five years ago that I wrote my first book, a
fantasy novel. I then wrote two further fantasy novels, the last being a
monster of nearly 200,000 words, none of which I ever attempted to publish. All
of this I consider having been my apprenticeship, but I decided I would rather
write historical fiction, having studied medieval history for over twenty years
and building up a comprehensive library of books. Sword Brethren is the
first novel I have had published.
How long did it take to complete your first book?
The first
two fantasy books each took under a year to write. Unfortunately, I am not a
fast writer, and Sword Brethren took a few years. Unlike most of the advice
given by other authors, I do not write every day. I am finishing the third book
in the series, which will have to undergo several months of editing before
being sent to some beta readers and then undergoing a professional line edit.
If the publisher agrees to accept it, then a copy editor will also review it
before publication.
Did you have an author who inspired you to become a writer?
Yes, a few. As I mentioned
earlier, Bernard Cornwell is the master of the historical adventure genre and
the writer I would most like to emulate. But there are several others.
Beforehand, when I was a child, I loved anything by CS Forester or Wilbur
Smith. Now, I like most of the bestselling authors in my category, from Conn
Iggulden and Ben Kane to Matthew Harffy and Ken Follett. I also like many
authors of different genres, especially fantasy.
What is your favorite part of the writing process?
Funnily
enough, I probably most enjoy the editing process. Getting the words down on
the page can sometimes be like extracting teeth, although I also find this
rewarding. Editing allows me to refine and improve what has already been
written. I also tend to do a lot of editing as I go along, something also
discouraged by other authors or experts. But for me it works – and that is what
is so important. No writer is the same, and what works for you works for you.
Describe your latest book in 4 words.
An exciting
medieval adventure.
Can you share a little bit about your current work or what is in the future for your writing?
I am
currently writing the third book in The Northern Crusader Chronicles which
has the working title of Clash of Faith. It continues Richard’s journey
in medieval Livonia, fighting to bring Christ to the pagans, all the while
doubting his own faith – with more enemies inside the close walls of the
commandery than in the pagan forests beyond.
About the Author
The Northern Crusader Chronicles is a gritty, historically grounded series focused on realism, moral ambiguity, and the brutal realities of medieval warfare.
Written for readers who value authenticity and atmosphere over romanticised adventure, the novel explores a largely forgotten crusading frontier, culminating in the first of many confrontations in a harsh wilderness of forest and swamp.
Readers who enjoy the historical detail of authors such as Bernard Cornwell, Conn Iggulden, or Ben Kane may find familiar ground here.


0 Comments